Everybody who makes Noccino in Ticino, the Italian-speaking Swiss canton, swears by their recipe being the best and the only one. I am pretty sure this is not the only one, but it is undoubtedly the very best -- and I’m not even Ticinesi.
What you need now
- 1l grappa (at least 40% alc.)
- 24 green walnuts quartered (with the juice)
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 vanilla stick
- 1 tsp lemon zest (only use organic fruit!)
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 1 handfull of fresh raspberries
What you need in August
250 g sugar
100-300 ml water
- Put all ingredients into a sealed jar and shake well.
- Leave the jar in a sunny place for a biblical 40 days or 2 months.
- Shake daily.
What you do in August
- Strain the mixture and do not taste it. It is horribly medicinal at this stage.
- Boil the sugar and water up into a syrup and add to the murkily green liquid.
- Store in a cool place for at least 6 weeks, better till Christmas, as with age this metamorphoses from a vilely cough-syrupy concoction into sheer smoothness.
Warning: Drink with caution and in moderation; it slips down sooo easily, but it is pretty lethal.