Pages

17 June 2012

Conchiglie (Pasta) with Stingy Nettle Tips


This works just as well with stingy nettle tips, which, when blanched are very much like fresh spinach. As an alternative you can use fresh spinach. Both are actually very seasonal.








What you need

  • 200 g nettle tips or spinach leaves
  • 4 tblsp olive oil
  • 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 small dried red chillies (more if you like it hot)
  • 1 handful fresh herbs (lovage, flat-leaved parsley, sage, rosemary, oregano, etc.)
  • salt to taste
  • 500 g pasta (conchiglie)

What you do

Wash the stingy nettle tips or spinach leaves without shaking them afterwards and place them in a large pan. Stirring occasionally allow them to collapse.
In a frying pan heat the oil and sauté the onions, the garlic slices and the chillies, allowing them to brown slightly and the garlic slices get a little crispy.
Lift out the greens, draining them and keeping the liquid for the pasta water.
Add them to the frying pan and stir.
In the meantime add enough water for the pasta to the juices from wilting the leaves, salt, bring to the boil and add the pasta.
Drain when they are a al dente and add to the frying pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sauté until the mixture is hot and serve with freshly grated pecorino romano or parmesan.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Franz! I stumbled on this by accident when checking the net for creative writing and visiting your old page. Love the recipes and pictures - makes me a little sad that I never continued with my own food blog on persian cooking (still found at http://farsirezepte.blogspot.ch/ ). :)

    maybe you still remember me, I was a student at the english department in bern from 2001-2005 and took several of your CR workshops among other lectures (I was also there for the King Richard III play - lighting&sound, yay!). I miss that time. I haven't given up on my writing though.

    I will keep an eye on this blog for more yummie recipes!

    all the best,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have just checked out your site and looked at a few recipes there, in particular the safran ice-cream, which looks as though that could be eye-wateringly delish. I'll try it out soonest.

    ReplyDelete