This is a quick-fix cold pesto that works very well with almost any kind of pasta. If the ingredients are at hand it can easily be made in the time it takes to get the pasta al dente.
It has a very strong nutty flavour. If too dry, add a bit of pasta water before serving.
What you need
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 – 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 200 g walnuts, soaked in boiling water for 5 – 10 minutes, then drained
- 100 g pecorino romano, grated (not in the picture), parmesan if you don’t like sheep’s cheese
- 50 – 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml fresh cream or double cream (if watching the pounds, single cream may do…)
- salt and pepper to season
- optionally: some finely pounded chilli pepper to taste
What you do
- Grind the nuts and mix with the pecorino.
- Blend with the liquid ingredients and, if necessary, some pasta water, to the desired consistency.
- Mix with ready pasta and serve with more grated pecorino or parmesan.