Pages

08 April 2012

Giant Prawns with Stuff in Saffron


It is Easter. Once again, I am back cooking for my Dad. This time the reason is more serious than on past occasions. I feel what I can do now is to remember where my love of food and cooking comes from and to put all best efforts into the meals I do for him.
This is a dish for two people, with twice the amounts it will make a meal for four, ideally served with a big mixed spring salad and boiled rice or perhaps even nicer, with a wild rice mix. For this I sauté 1 small finely chopped onion in a generous dash of olive oil, add the rice, stirring it until it looks glassy before pouring in double the amount of the rice in liquid, to start with, 1 quarter made up of a good white wine, then 3 quarters vegetable broth. I then then allow this to simmer gently until the liquid is soaked up. In the meantime I do the prawns.

What you need (for two people)

  • 4-5 tblsp olive oil
  • 10-12 raw giant prawns
  • 5 cloves of garlic finely sliced
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 10-15 black olives halved and stoned
  • 1 dried chilli (or to taste)
  • 5 slices of sundried tomatoes with the oil drained off cut into small (1 cm) squares
  • optionally (and not pictured) a handful of roasted pine nuts or almond splinters
  • 1-2 sachets saffron
  • sea salt (and pepper or my Cajun Spice) to taste 

What you do

  1. Heat up the olive oil and add the raw prawns.
  2. Fry them briefly on both sides until they are orange, then take them out and put them aside under a cover to keep them warm.
  3. In the olive oil sauté the onions until golden, add the sliced garlic and stir to make sure nothing goes brown. 
  4. Add the crumble chilli, without the seeds if you like it less hot.
  5. Put in the olives and stir or shake to make sure nothing burns.
  6. Add the almonds or pine kernels if you use any and the sun-dried tomatoes.
  7. Shake the saffron over the mixture add the prawns again and warm them up, do not let it too hot as otherwise the prawns get tough. 
  8. Add sea salt (and pepper or my Cajun Spice) to taste.
Thanks for all the inspiration, I will never forget your love of life, of your family and of good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment