Pages

20 February 2012

Papet Vaudois (The Fall?)


This week I am looking after and cooking for my non-vegetarian Dad again. This meal is very loosely based on the traditional Papet Vaudois; I tried to recreate if after I had been invited by my friends Dewi and Janine, who didn’t know that I don’t really eat meat (OK, I admit, I’m not a real vegetarian, it’s also a taste thing.). Janine’s papet was so tasty, I just had to try it out at home. So now I usually cook it when I cook for my parents; I make a large amount and freeze the left-overs. Like with so many of these types of traditional dishes, they taste even better warmed up...

What you need

  • 50 g butter
  • 300 g smoked speck, cubed
  • 800 g leek, cut into slices
  • 5+ cloves of garlic, sliced thinly or pressed
  • 500 g waxy potatoes generously cubed
  • 400 ml white wine
  • vegetable stock cubes or paste to taste
  • 2 Vaudois sausages (one could be a saussice aux choux)
  • Salt and pepper.

 What you do

  1. Fry the speck rind and the speck in a bit of butter until the speck is slightly glazed.
  2. Add the onions and stir until they are glassy.
  3. Add the leek and the garlic and stir continuously till the leek get soft.
  4. Pour in the wine, add the vegetable stock and the potatoes.
  5. Last put in the sausages , making sure they are covered and allow the pot to simmer. The dish is ready when the potatoes are done, but it gets better the longer it is allowed to simmer (not to mention that warming it up)
  6. Before serving, pierce the sausages with a fork so they release their juices, then slice them and return them to the pot. 
  7. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
Serve in bowls to catch all the juices…

2 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious. Any suggestions on where I can get Vaudois sausages in Cheshire...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've checked this out and there are a couple of internet mail order places for continental sausages. The closest I've been able to find in the UK was Cotechino, a thick Italian pork sausage, unfortunately not smoked. But it is used in an Italian dish with lentils and my Mum used to make Vaudois sausages with lentils and carrots in red wine, so I guess it could work.

    What you may want to try is to search with google uk. It is a well-known fact that google produces different results depending on where you google from...

    Happy sausage hunting!

    ReplyDelete